Notes and Domino

The perils of web services

I've spent a large portion of the weekend and all of today trying to consume an XFire web service which returns an array of complex objects. Not too difficult I hear you say. Well you'd be wrong, very wrong. Even with the wonderful Stubby I have not been able to get it to work (it's a documented limitation in the Stubby About document) due to the following error...
org.xml.sax.SAXException Source code of org.xml.sax.SAXException: SimpleDeserializer encountered a child element, which is NOT expected, in something it was trying to deserialize
The problem is down to the version of Axis which is used by Domino. More recent versions are able to deserialize the XML returned by the web service but the version in Domino 7 doesn't understand arrays of complex object returned by a web service. I've tried everything I can think of, including an abortive attempt to replace the version of Axis used by my local server. So I am now looking for ideas from you the community, the only other alternative left for me would be to write a JBoss application and have it talk to Domino which I'd really rather not do.